Our school is a ‘Safer School’
West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council support our school with the Safer School initiative. We are an accredited ‘Safer School’ and proud of our Safer School sign and certificate. The accreditation is reviewed every two years.
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a minimum standard for school security.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
- Implementing a security policy that the governors have adopted.
- Consulting parents/carers and pupils/students for their views and updating them on any progress.
- Publicity of Safer Schools to school staff, pupils, school neighbours, parents and prospective parents.
- Establishing a Safer School Group. This Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholders – Headteacher/Deputy, staff, governors, parents, pupils, neighbours, Shropshire Council and West Mercia Police.
- Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff, pupils, the site and assets.
- Educating pupils through the Personal, Social, Health and Economic curriculum programme or the Safer School folder.
- A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, burglary, theft, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, arson, suspicious activity etc., both during school hours and out-of hours.
- Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
- If there are security issues i.e. vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc., the intention of the initiative is to reduce/eliminate the issues.
Another year and another successful ‘Safer School Group’ meeting at Shifnal Primary School. For many years, Mr Farrington with the support of Mrs Humphrey, has ensured that security/ safety is a priority and it’s been demonstrated through the schools continual involvement in the ‘Safer Schools’ initiative. The ‘Safer Schools’ initiative includes reviewing any incidents/issues, ensuring essential security/safety measures are active and finally, considering any potential improvements. Part of the Safer School process includes consultation with parents/carers and during the recent Safer School Group meeting, we reviewed the parent/carer survey. Overall the survey results were extremely reassuring, with positive comments and some helpful observations. At the end of the meeting, the Group did a site tour to review security/safety. This tour around the school highlighted the significant change and improvements over the last 12 months. Shifnal Primary School deserves it’s ‘Safer School’ accreditation and a future meeting is planned for Autumn 2019.
Crime Prevention Officer